Wednesday, January 23, 2008

If Kriss Kross can rap about it, I can blog about it

I saw Cloverfield last night… and don’t worry, there are no spoilers in this blog. I am highly against spoilers. But I will say enough, the movie left me feeling kind of weird and I did actually have nightmares last night. I don’t know if it was related to the movie or just pure coincidence and the full moon… but regardless… it lasted more or less all night.

So when my dreams went from one villainous danger to another, it was no surprise in the early morning hours to hear a youthful voice shrieking “HEY! HEY! HEYYYYY!” blending into all of the other terrifying images of the night. Not until, I realized it was really happening… right outside my window. At first, I lay in bed wondering what to do… do I dare look out the window? And finally, the repeated shouts turned into one long, wailing scream. It was definitely a small child.

I jumped out of bed and to the window, phone in hand to call 911 if necessary. It did, definitely sound like a small child was either being severely beaten out in my parking lot or worse. But when I looked outside, I saw nothing though I could still hear the screaming. Was it coming from inside another house? Unlikely - it was too clear. It had to be outdoors.

At last, I saw a small child running from behind one of our buildings… the buildling closest to the street. He was all bundled up with a gigantic backpack flopping around on his back as he ran.

He missed the bus...

…and he was devastated about it… like really, really devastated. He ran back to the front of his house and stood out on the sidewalk continuing to cry uncontrollably… if it was that loud from my bedroom window, I can only imagine what it sounded like right next to the poor kid.

My next concern was that he was standing in front of his house and there were no cars around. I wondered if his parents were even home or if he had a key to get back in. I started to get myself ready to go out there and let him use my phone… but before I got the chance, the crying stopped and he was gone. My hope is that he just went back inside his house… and I’m sure that’s the case. I live in a safe neighborhood. There are only like 5 of us who live there now and we all know each other, but wow – to be that heartbroken over missing the bus.

The thing is, I would have reacted the same way as a child. I was a little melodramatic about that stuff. So all is well that ended well… but it still was kind of a bizarre thing to wake up to this morning. And it makes for what I consider to be a blog-worthy moment… brought to you by me.

Pray for snow. Talk soon.

No comments: