Tuesday, December 12, 2006

distance

there are all kinds of distance… there is spatial distance, time distance, mental distance and so on. I have a fond appreciation for none of these. I like closeness in all respects. the onset of fall usually brings with itself an overwhelming sense of distance for me. this year was no exception. its a distance from the way things used to be around the holidays… a stronger recognition of distance between me and people I care about… and in the cold, the early sunsets, the dying leaves, being far away in body and mind, the hope of some comfort waits inside. I have a feeling this is why miracles are talked about and sought after now more than any other time of the year. I’ve asked for some myself recently. now is supposed to be a celebration and yet so many people become lonely… I wonder would this happen if we celebrated Christmas on a beautiful spring day? no one gets the Easter blues do they? I never have. not saying it can’t happen, but honestly…

but ah, distance… one of my biggest arch-enemies next to Kermit the Frog and the *pack of wild dogs that follow me to work everyday and then sit outside waiting for me to leave in the afternoon.



*wild dog story created for dramatic effect.

No comments: